Thursday, July 14, 2005

Everybody Get Krunk


Last night my friend Mikey dragged me to Here for their hip hop night. (read: African American Night)
It's sad that the gay community is so racially segregated, and as I walked around West Hollywood last night I found all of the white boys at the Abbey, blacks at Here, and latinos at Rage. As for the Asians, they were just dispersed everywhere although I hear they have an Asian night at Rage on Fridays.

Well I don't like imaginary racial lines, much less some stupid notion that I belong to a certain subdemographic of an already marginalized segment of society just because I was fortunate enough to be born latin.

But one wierd thing I've noticed is that because of the CONCENTRATED racism against latinos and Mexicans in California, a lot of latin men I meet are claiming to be mixed. Now, I'm sure thats true for some of them, but I get the feeling that most of them are lying in order to combat the pernicious racism against Mexicans. Because sweetie...having come from the latin tribe, I know what my people look like.

Latins are mixed by their very origins; being the result of imperialism and warfare, Mexicans have had German, French, and Spanish flags fly over their nation.
And South Americans are even more mixed with the huge influx of Italians, Jews, and fugitive German Nazi's seeking refuge during/after World War II.

Latins do come in all shapes and sizes, being the most racially mixed people in the world, but why is it that every gay latin man in LA is somehow half-italian? Have full-blooded gay latinos dissappeared? Is lying about your racial background become a way to upgrade your looks?

Take David for example. He works at my gym, and is pretty fucking hot. Great body, great face. Totally turns heads everywhere he goes with his insane bubble butt and pretty boy face. His last name: Rodriguez (well not really but its just as latin.) Now there is no way in hell that last name came from anywhere but the Spanish speaking world.
I could see the Phillipines because the Spanish did spread their seeds there, but this gym homeboy claims to be Hawaiian.

He wasn't born in Hawaii nor are any of his ancestors from there. He grew up in Bakersfield and his parents, I know for a fact, are Mexican. So why lie?!

And my buddy Mikey lets people guess. Since he looks like he's a white boy, people often think he's French, and he just lets them believe that.

What happened to ethnic pride?
I know that insecure people lie about their backgrounds all the time, but I for one think you should be BROWN and proud.

The latin tribe may not have been born with tons of money. We may have corrupt governments, a non-existent middle class, and may be the struggling work force in the United States, but I think those are all reasons to be proud of our advancements.
AND we were blessed with nice asses and gorgeous brown skin. Jesus people, how much more do you want?!
Fucking aye!
If you want further proof of the HOTNESS of latin males, check out Terra (the Spanish speaking world's Yahoo) and their montly feature of The Boy. Nuff Said.

No comments: