Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Cash Money Ho?

Ever notice that when you're broke, everyone else seems to be flithly rich.
Well that seems to be the case here in LA, but to the Nth degree. No one my age seems to be struggling at all...but I sincerely doubt that the greater Los Angeles area is populated entirely by trust fund kids and hotel heiressses. NO, my guess is that most people my age are living way beyond their means and doing so on credit.

Driving around in my rented hatchback Daewoo, I'm surrounded by SUVs, Beemers, and Hummers. The most common car I see being driven by people my age are Volkswagon Jettas and Golfs.

It's not fashionable or glam to be broke...in fact, you're never supposed to admit to not having money, because if you are truly a child of glamour, then the money will come to you... Where that pervasive line of thinking comes from, I have no idea, but I do know that among my friends the idea of dropping a thousand dollars at Lisa Kline on Robertson on a pair of jeans and a jacket is nothing to be alarmed at, especially if you've got the latest Farmer Jeans, that really cute Paul Smith Oxford hat, or that Etro Seersucker jacket in your bag.

One of my friends, I fucking forgot which, told me that back in the day (probably in the 50's) the theatre was attended almost purely by older people. Not because they were the only ones who wanted to attend, but because they were the only ones who could truly afford to go- Now that whole concept; that certain luxuries should only be taken with a decades-worth of hard work has seemingly escaped the supposition of the world today.
It certainly has been something that's taken most of my early twenties to notice.
Maybe it's because we live in a world that's a "live for today" mentality- which translates into instant gratification and induldgence.
Especially since we seem infatuated with young girls with more capital than most African nations. Girls like the Skeletwins (Linday and Nicole) and Paris who are young and get to live lavish lifestyles. It's not enough to be rich at 40, now what people want is to be rich, hot, and young. Or at least appear as if they are rich and young.
Alls I know is...I'm broke- and I need to worry about apartment deposits and cars before I even consider a new pair of Blue Cult Jeans.

No comments: