Monday, June 20, 2005

Crash

On Friday night, on my way home, I ran a red light and crashed into a BMW.
My cell phone had fallen onto the floor in front of the passenger side and when it rang, I went to grab it.

I don't know how I missed the fact that I was about to drive through an intersection.
I'm stupid. I'm so fucking dumb. And I'm so incredibly lucky I didn't kill anyone.

I remember looking up and realizing I had just run a red light and was headed right for a car.

The next 10 minutes were completely unreal. The sounds of two cars crushing each other, the feeling of the shards of glass raining on my face, and the smell of burnt rubber and gasoline.

I immediately panicked. Is the other person ok? I couldn't open my door so I climbed over the airbags and out of the passenger side window, and ran to the BMW.

Inside I saw a terrified woman hysterically crying. I asked her if she could get out.
She couldn't.
I held her hand and cried. I cried for her pain, knowing that I had caused it all.

The police came, she was able to get out of her car, and thankfully she was fine.

Said "If there's any car you ever want to get in an accident in, it's that one."

She gave me a hug, and reminded me that we were both alive.

I'm so very sorry.

Throughout it all, the only person I wanted with me was my EX. I wanted his embrace more than anything. I wanted to feel safe again.

I called him and he stayed on the phone with me until I got home and into bed. My body aches, my nerves are fried, but god damn, I'm still alive.

1 comment:

Frank said...

I'm glad you're okay. Accidents are always nerve-rending, though, even if nothing truly bad happened.