Thursday, June 16, 2005

I live with a couple from the Midwest. I've called them trashy before, but that's because they are trashy.
Uneducated, racist, and fans of demolition derbies.
I'm not saying they're evil. Quite the opposite actually. They're sweet people who just happen to like Bud Light, cigarettes, and hawaiian shirts. It's sort of like living with the Simpsons or relatives of the Bundy's.

Last night they came home from a dinner party. They were both drunk, meaning one of them was behind the wheel intoxicated of course.

They were in the midst of a tense fight, ignoring each other and only speaking to me making me the medium by which there dumb angry comments were filtered.
Btw, don't do that to people, if youre fighting don't drag others into it. It was horribly akward for me....Ok, i'm lying...i thought it was really entertaining. Imagine Jerry Springer Live in your living room. Priceless.

She then ends the game by informing him that she was going to make a microwave pizza. He demands that she not eat anymore, and come to bed so they can have sex.
She refuses, I go to my room to laugh, and I hear him telling her she's in "deep, deep trouble."

She then pops open two bud lights and motions me to join her out on the building's balconies to smoke a cigarette.

It's there that we have our first real conversation since I moved in three weeks ago.
She tells me of her failed relationships, the friends she's lost, and the heartache of her current situation.

She showed me pictures of her circle of friends back in Chicago, of her father, and of her ex-boyfriends.
She's really lonely out here since she moved out here to be with her current boyfriend; a guy she met while waitressing at a TGIFriday's type restaurant.
She has no friends here, and her life is basically her administrative job and her boyfriend. He's kind of a jerk to her; telling her what to wear, demanding sex every night, and telling her she's lucky to have him.
I've heard firsthand all of his bullshit, and up until last night hadn't said anything.

She asked me what I thought she should do.
I told her to break up with him because she's in an abusive relationship. She deserves better than that.

I don't doubt that the guy loves her. He just needs to understand that he can't treat her like shit.

No comments: