Friday, April 01, 2005

How Stella Got Her Groove Back

The bartending hottie called me up last night as I was dropping off the rent check on my sublet.
He just so happened to be housesitting a friends apartment across the street, so I met up with him and his friend and we drove over to the movie set on Sixth Street to get a closer look.

I'm glad we went back because the movie being shot is "Rent." I think enough time has passed since the period in America's history where every jazz-handsy drama freak would spontaneously break out in song from the critically-acclaimed musical. There was a time where I considered shooting a girl upstairs from me in my freshman dorm for playinig "Seasons of Love" on repeat. I hate jazz hands, and I hate most musicals. And I don't want to see some overly-emotional chick sing and dance in the hallway while I'm trying to do schoolwork. It was most irritating because I actually liked Rent. It's bohemian, it's bitingly liberal, and it had Taye Diggs in the original cast.
And Taye was there, and JUST looking at him helped me find my groove. Idina, his wife was there dressed in the signature Maureen costume of cat ears and a black vinyl suit. If fucking hate/love Idina. She's a talented babe that gets to come home and straddle Taye, AND she has a Tony-award for Best Female on her mantel.
The cast and extras all donned New Year's garb, and the scene involved them crossing the street. Rosario Dawson was on the cast. And the girl is hot.

I am admittedly a huge faggot, and Rent appeals to me with its bohemian romanticism and portrayal of a tranny. (I'm a little obsessed with trannies, but NOT in a fuck-me-in-the-butt She-Male sort of way)

I hung out for ahwile, got admonished by some fat PA in faded black denim jeans for yelling Idina's name, and had a drink at some dive bar with local drag queen Princess Kennedy. She was drunk, slurring her words, and was a featured extra on the set. I love messy drag queens. They remind me of mom.

No comments: